There are times when words fail us. What do you say to parents who have lost their child? To a friend entering the final stages of cancer? To your neighbor when she tells you she’s getting a divorce because her husband has had a girlfriend for years? Words seem trivial, so ‘not enough’ at times like that. So what do you say?
Here are 7 things you can say when you don’t know what to say (and even when you don’t agree with what the other person is doing):
- -God loves you and that will never change.
- -I love you, no matter what.
- -I’m here for you.
- -What can I do to help you?
- -I’ll pray for you.
- -If you want to talk, I’m here to listen. No judgment, I promise.
- -I honestly don’t know what to say, but I just wanted to let you know that my heart breaks for you.